Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Easton S1 bbcor

Default Easton S1 bbcor

I'm looking at a new old stock 2014 Easton S1, 31/28. I believe the '14 is exactly the same as the '13, just with different color scheme. I know you can find used S1's, but I prefer to buy new because I've had enough problems with used bats. I've looked at all the new bats but keep going back to the S1 and Tom's recommendation as the best choice for a smaller kid. I've seen it in action and I agree.

So I have read that these S1's can crack or break at the seams (2 seams?). Does anyone have a guess as to what % of these were defective?

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I'm looking at a new old stock 2014 Easton S1, 31/28. I believe the '14 is exactly the same as the '13, just with different color scheme. I know you can find used S1's, but I prefer to buy new because I've had enough problems with used bats. I've looked at all the new bats but keep going back to the S1 and Tom's recommendation as the best choice for a smaller kid. I've seen it in action and I agree.

So I have read that these S1's can crack or break at the seams (2 seams?). Does anyone have a guess as to what % of these were defective?
    I would avoide 2 piece BBCOR because every MFG has had issues with theirs. 2018 LS Solo is an amazingly light and balanced BBCOR with nice pop. Also still love the Marucci Cat 6 / 7 - also swings very light for smaller kids and you can probably get those bats with warranty left on them for under $200

Okay, the Solo is another one I was considering, especially the 2018 which has a new low vibration end knob.

Although, the other day I saw a saw a boy hit a S1 almost to the fence with a relatively slow swing and not much extension, just good contact on the sweet spot. I was surprised at how the ball came off the bat.

when a two-piece bat fails - good chance it will fail at/near the connection piece (Easton included)

I've seen two-piece bats snap when slammed to the ground after a K ... ( two DeMarini Voodoos same weekend)

when you consider there are a zillion Easton two-piece bats in service - the failure rate (as a percent) is probably fairly low

We have a used S1 and it's going strong. I wouldn't worry about buying used...I don't (almost never) buy new.

The Velo is probably a little more balanced in my son's opinion. He preferred the Velo over the 617 but he liked the 617 as well.

Most two piece Easton and LS I've gotten used have had issues. That's probably 7 out of 10. That's why we stick to one piece. LS had a class action lawsuit on their connection piece which is still going on. The XL1 was notoriously bad. I would say it's more than one in a Zillion

Easton and LS two-piece bat failures differ significantly

LS had a design / manufacturing flaw that resulted in a significant amount of failures / large percentage

Easton failures are fairly typical of a mass produced item

MANY if not most of the Easton 2014 XL1s (white ones) failed as they got older. I don't know about the S1s but probably those too. BBCOR and Senior league etc. I thought they fixed the issue but have 2015 XL1s with the same issue. I think she's talking about a 2014 or 2015 or older.

Tool designed for violent contact over and over again with different materials held together tenuously. It's a recipe for failure. I guess DeMarini doesn't have this problem since their bats don't last very long (at least the ones that are in demand).
    Last edited by Lampuki22; 09-12-2017 at 08:57 PM.

I've read many different opinions about bbcor bats, most saying that they perform the same and that you want to choose one based on comfort, the right balance, and feel. That being said, does a 2 piece composite bat optimize the results for a smaller kid with not the fastest swing? I have watched the smaller boys and have noticed how the ball travels off bbcor composites compared to alloys. Could it be that fathers of average to larger boys say that alloys perform the same as composites because for faster, stronger swings they do perform the same?

There are strength differences between an 85-90lb. and an average size 14U boy. And yes, I know there are other factors involved. My son is working on his hitting mechanics and continuing to make progress.

I thought that the 2 piece composite assists slower swings. Is this correct? I know there is no definitive answer to this and everyone have their own opinions, but what type of player are they designed for?

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I've read many different opinions about bbcor bats, most saying that they perform the same and that you want to choose one based on comfort, the right balance, and feel. That being said, does a 2 piece composite bat optimize the results for a smaller kid with not the fastest swing? I have watched the smaller boys and have noticed how the ball travels off bbcor composites compared to alloys. Could it be that fathers of average to larger boys say that alloys perform the same as composites because for faster, stronger swings they do perform the same?

There are strength differences between an 85-90lb. and an average size 14U boy. And yes, I know there are other factors involved. My son is working on his hitting mechanics and continuing to make progress.

I thought that the 2 piece composite assists slower swings. Is this correct? I know there is no definitive answer to this and everyone have their own opinions, but what type of player are they designed for?
    There's nothing about a hybrid bat or a 2 piece that makes it better for smaller kids. Bat companies like to say they have whip or lower MOI. I think that's a load of BS to sell $450 basts with patented tecnology. What matters is the barrel.

Composite is good for smaller kids because they can distribute the weight more evenly and some of those bats will break in and get hotter. Not the case with BBCOR. Look at college games and you'll see a lot of one piece alloy bats. HS's are littered with marucci cats. If colleges could use them, I bet they would.