Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 Zens

Mine has a 30/20 S3 that mine used for quite a bit this last season. They can be picked up quiet reasonably and are very durable.

Just out of curiosity, which model S3 do you guys like. I always though the grey and yellow 2014 was the best but I haven't had any experience with the last few models. Thanks.

Had a few nice hits in cold weather with the new model--silver with light blue 2 3/4. Saw a few more of them as the season went on. Never had much luck with the older ones, black/yellow or silver yellow.

Just received a drop 8 31/23 2018 Zen in the mail today. On our fedex scale here at work it read 24 ounces with the wrapper still on. My son hasn't seen it or hit with it yet so I can't comment on how it hits. Trying to move him up from a drop 10 31/21 non-retooled cf zen purchased about 13 months ago. Speaking to a prior post comparing non-retooled zens to CF8's - we don't have a drop 10 green CF8 to compare to, but this well broken in non-retooled zen is so hot that I really can't imagine anything hitting any further or smoother unless it's shaved. But if the CF8's are hotter, that would be something.

Quote Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
    Just received a drop 8 31/23 2018 Zen in the mail today. On our fedex scale here at work it read 24 ounces with the wrapper still on. My son hasn't seen it or hit with it yet so I can't comment on how it hits. Trying to move him up from a drop 10 31/21 non-retooled cf zen purchased about 13 months ago. Speaking to a prior post comparing non-retooled zens to CF8's - we don't have a drop 10 green CF8 to compare to, but this well broken in non-retooled zen is so hot that I really can't imagine anything hitting any further or smoother unless it's shaved. But if the CF8's are hotter, that would be something.
    A few kids on our summer team last year (12u) got retooled Zens and started hitting bombs with them. One of them broke within a month but they were hotter than the Zen prior to retool or even the CF8. I think they basically were heavier CFZens.

We got a 30/22 2018 Zen from the replacement program yesterday and tried out. Right out of the wrapper no break in. Maybe it needs to get broken in but the 2018 Zen was nothing special which is no surprise I don't think they want to do recalls again.

It weighed 22.7 (so Drop 8.3). I have two kids who can swing a bat that size one is 5' 95lbs and the other is 5'6" 120. Both said it didn't feel like either the -10 or -8 CF8 (the hot bats) and thought it felt more like the 2017 Banned bat -10 but they did not hit the ball well with it and I would not say it had much "pop" and small sweet spot.

The bigger kid (13u) used 2016 -5 Mako XL and hit several balls out of the park (about ~300+ feet). Lots of screamers. The farthest he hit a ball with the Zen was maybe 225 feet and he said it had some sting and not a big sweet spot. The small kid didn't hit that many deep flys or screams with the new Zen. He switced to a CF8 and hit the ball much better and further. We hit a lot of balls and the results were pretty consistent.

I know that a lot of people were wondering about the 2018 Zens and probably hoping DeMarini did it again but I don't think so. The 2018 seems pretty average so far. If it breaks in I'll report back

Quote Originally Posted by Lampuki22 View Post
    We got a 30/22 2018 Zen from the replacement program yesterday and tried out. Right out of the wrapper no break in. Maybe it needs to get broken in but the 2018 Zen was nothing special which is no surprise I don't think they want to do recalls again.

It weighed 22.7 (so Drop 8.3). I have two kids who can swing a bat that size one is 5' 95lbs and the other is 5'6" 120. Both said it didn't feel like either the -10 or -8 CF8 (the hot bats) and thought it felt more like the 2017 Banned bat -10 but they did not hit the ball well with it and I would not say it had much "pop" and small sweet spot.

The bigger kid (13u) used 2016 -5 Mako XL and hit several balls out of the park (about ~300+ feet). Lots of screamers. The farthest he hit a ball with the Zen was maybe 225 feet and he said it had some sting and not a big sweet spot. The small kid didn't hit that many deep flys or screams with the new Zen. He switced to a CF8 and hit the ball much better and further. We hit a lot of balls and the results were pretty consistent.

I know that a lot of people were wondering about the 2018 Zens and probably hoping DeMarini did it again but I don't think so. The 2018 seems pretty average so far. If it breaks in I'll report back

IMO the new Zens definitely need an extended break in period. I got a 30/20 as a replacement and it's 2 ounces over so I'm treating it like a -8. It's too heavy for my son right now so I let a teammate use it this Fall. This teammate is a bigger kid and hits the ball hard. He started crushing the ball with it in the last two tournaments we played. It obviously loosened up quite a bit. I can't say it's as good as the cf8 or the zen but it's now better than any bat in the dugout except my son's 29/21 cf8. I have a suspicion that it's going to be much more effective for bigger kids that swing hard and not so much for smaller contact hitters.

Your experience with the 2018 Zen seems very similar to ours. The drop -10 and drop -8 weigh almost exactly the same but the drop -8 has a barrel that is almost two inches longer and only gives up 1/8" barrel diameter so my son likes it better. My son is swinging 30/22 CF8 and I agree that it is probably the best bat around for kids that are able to swing it. Funny thing is that most parents don't realize that the green bat is 2 ounces over sticker so they already are swinging a drop -8 bat when the use the green one. I weighed a 31" drop -10 and 31" drop -8 2016 CF8 model bats and they is only 0.1 ounces difference in the weight. The only real difference in weight is how much lighter your wallet will be if you try to buy a green bat instead of the drop -8.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Inman View Post
    Your experience with the 2018 Zen seems very similar to ours. The drop -10 and drop -8 weigh almost exactly the same but the drop -8 has a barrel that is almost two inches longer and only gives up 1/8" barrel diameter so my son likes it better. My son is swinging 30/22 CF8 and I agree that it is probably the best bat around for kids that are able to swing it. Funny thing is that most parents don't realize that the green bat is 2 ounces over sticker so they already are swinging a drop -8 bat when the use the green one. I weighed a 31" drop -10 and 31" drop -8 2016 CF8 model bats and they is only 0.1 ounces difference in the weight. The only real difference in weight is how much lighter your wallet will be if you try to buy a green bat instead of the drop -8.
    I've been on the -8 cf8 for over a year now. I picked up a 29/21 and a 30/22 for less than $200 each. I think people are catching on as I can't find them anymore for less than $350. Still better than the green one at $800+ but I was hoping to get a backup 29/21 this winter and they have gone up too much to pull the trigger on one.