Thread: Marucci AP5 Quality Control

Default Marucci AP5 Quality Control

IMG_3212.jpgIMG_3220.jpgIMG_3221.jpgIMG_3237.jpg
    Photo 1 of past bats and the 1st out of weight spec bat
    Photo 2 weight of first delivered bat
    Photo 3 weight of current game AP5
    Photo 4 weight of second delivered bat

Our 15 year old son has chosen the Marucci AP5 bats over the past three years. Never had a problem with weight or performance. I always the bats just to make sure that they are within the spec that we ordered, which is -3.
    Last year we bought a bat and it lasted less than a week, no problem we sent it back and received a replacement as per the warranty process. I didn't think much about it until recently.

He broke his bat almost two weeks ago so first thing Monday morning I order another one from Marucci. When it arrived we both noticed it was heavier than previous models. I weighed it and it came in at 32 - 1/4 ounces.

Immediately called Marucci, no one returned our call and it was still within their open hours that is listed on the recording for customer service. Called again the following Monday and was able to speak with a rep, who sent us a return shipping label and told us that he was sorry that they would ship another bat out as soon as this one was shipped back to them. Shipped it out Monday afternoon and today received the replacement for the out of spec bat.

Again it felt heavy, weighed it and this one weighed in at 29 - 3/4 ounces. Called Marucci customer service again and was told a shipping label would be emailed and to send the bat back that she would investigate what is going on.

Has anyone else experienced issues with Marucci quality control like this?

most Marucci Pro models (store purchased and customer special ordered) we've had / seen were consistent at -2 drop - including Cutch22 and AP5 models

recall just one Cutch22 that was -3 drop

I have seen at least one Cutch22 model that had a different barrel profile (smaller diameter) and probably should not have passed QC and been sold as a Pro Cut

consider keeping one overweight wood bat to use for training

if the wood bat is not for game use - we prefer heavier

Quote Originally Posted by tom2p View Post
    consider keeping one overweight wood bat to use for training
    if the wood bat is not for game use - we prefer heavier
    Thanks, but we already have a 32" / 33 1/8 ounce training bat

Quote Originally Posted by KCherkas View Post
    Thanks, but we already have a 32" / 33 1/8 ounce training bat
    ok you are in good shape there then

little/no reason then to keep the heavy AP5

although 29 3/4 might be typical / reasonable weight for 32" AP5 ?

the extra weight might be near the knob ... if it is the bat should feel / swing ok ... ?

( some of the AP5 handles might be more flared near the knob ... almost a much as cutch22 ? )

wonder if the quality of the ink dot versions is better

my guess is yes

Bat weight was all in the barrel, the cup was noticeably shallow and smaller than others we compared it to. Spoke with customer service and was told that they have identified a bad batch of bats.

Last year my son's team played in a Marucci sponsored wood bat tournament with the requirement that all bats had to be Marucci. One brand we always avoided based on advice from friends who write reviews for an equipment site. I was told that Marucci used inferior wood for their retail bats. I ordered some customs for my son hoping they'd be better than retail. Nope, some of the deadest wood he's ever hit. At this years tournament Marucci supplied team bats with a wood model I've never heard of. They were drop 5 to 8 - kindling! We were upset especially after a severe price fee jump. Our only recourse - remove the labels from our favorite wood bats and replace them with Marucci labels. My son's Samarucci was particularly popular. There were also Victusarucci's and Old Hickoryarucci's. Talk about the wrong way to promote a brand.
    "Oh, so they have internet on computers now."
    H.J. Simpson

knock on wood (apologize - could not resist)

no issues with marucci bats

a little cracking near the end at the cup - but that's it

and some of our marucci bats were hand-me-downs - some fairly well used

ball appears to come off the wood bats the same -.including marucci , cheap LS, and any other wood bat

one thing the kid likes about marucci is they offer model with elongated barrel that he prefers ... Cutch22 model (and/or pro AM22) ... also likes AP5 ...