Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how good is the cat 7?? bbcor

I had same question but my son has never used the Cat 5, 6 or 7.

Here's a review that says it's a tad heavier buy still as balanced. http://www.baseballbatreviews.org/bb...-cat-7-review/

They are by far the most common bats I see my son's JV opponents using and when he trained with a super elite national team this winter those kids had one or the other. Ive got the black special edition on pre-order because I thought it would be easier to keep track with everyone using these. Waste of $50? Probably but still the least expensive BBCOR we have our purchased. Can't wait to see him use it on summer team.

also saw a number of CAT6 last fall

( not as many this spring but still fair number )

many if not most of the high school kids in our area are into one piece alloy bats

if my kid was into one piece alloy bats - CAT6 (or 7) would be at/near top of the list

mention of SL Rival in another thread

if there is a current BBCOR bat that sorta/kinda reminds me of a SL Rival - it is the CAT6

the sound primarily ...
    Last edited by tom2p; 05-16-2017 at 01:16 PM.

So today my son got to demo the following: Cat 7, Cat 7 Connect, Velo, 5150 & LS 617. His preference from top to bottom was 1) 5150 2) Velo 3) Cat 7 4) LS 617 5) Cat 7 Connect.

His current bat is a Cat 6 (loves it) so I was surprised he didn't like the Cat 7 more. He said it was really close between the 5150, Velo & Cat 7 but ultimately the 5150 just felt more consistent and better on contact. He liked the weight/balance point on the 5150 the best, that probably accounts for why he thought it felt better at contact. I would call it a balanced bat but with just a very slight end load.

Im not surprised he didn't like the Cat 7 Connect, he has never been a fan of 2 piece bats. Plus he said it was a little too end loaded for him.

The LS 617, he said was a little too light feeling. And this is a little weird but he also said it felt much longer than the other bats. All the bats were 33" but for whatever reason he said the LS just felt/looked longer and it was "too light".

He said the Velo felt almost the same as the 5150, just a hair lighter. From the swings I saw he definitely hit the 5150 & Velo the best.

My son tried the Cat 7, Velo, 5150, 617, Z Core Speed, and several others in a facility with tracking. The Velo gave him the best numbers but HE wanted the Easton bc it was $100 cheaper. He used it for about a month bf I found a very nice, used S1. The Z Core never saw the light of day again, and I sold it shortly thereafter. I picked up a used Velo -5 for TB and he loves it. It has sort of become the official team bat with several kids using it exclusively. We will likely try a Velo BBCOR next MS year.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeahh View Post
    So today my son got to demo the following: Cat 7, Cat 7 Connect, Velo, 5150 & LS 617. His preference from top to bottom was 1) 5150 2) Velo 3) Cat 7 4) LS 617 5) Cat 7 Connect.

His current bat is a Cat 6 (loves it) so I was surprised he didn't like the Cat 7 more. He said it was really close between the 5150, Velo & Cat 7 but ultimately the 5150 just felt more consistent and better on contact. He liked the weight/balance point on the 5150 the best, that probably accounts for why he thought it felt better at contact. I would call it a balanced bat but with just a very slight end load.

Im not surprised he didn't like the Cat 7 Connect, he has never been a fan of 2 piece bats. Plus he said it was a little too end loaded for him.

The LS 617, he said was a little too light feeling. And this is a little weird but he also said it felt much longer than the other bats. All the bats were 33" but for whatever reason he said the LS just felt/looked longer and it was "too light".

He said the Velo felt almost the same as the 5150, just a hair lighter. From the swings I saw he definitely hit the 5150 & Velo the best.
    How old / big is your son? Swinging a 33?

I have noticed a few transitioning from Velo to 5150 as they get bigger and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    How old / big is your son? Swinging a 33?

I have noticed a few transitioning from Velo to 5150 as they get bigger and stronger.
    He just turned 16. maybe a hair over 5'8, weighs 145lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeahh View Post
    He just turned 16. maybe a hair over 5'8, weighs 145lbs.

nobody asked me - but 33 is on the big side for 5/8 145

Quote Originally Posted by tom2p View Post
    nobody asked me - but 33 is on the big side for 5/8 145
    My thoughts as well. My son 15, 5-7, almost 140 just moved up to a 32 mid spring. Thinking he would swing 32 for a while, at least till about 5-9/10, 170ish.

Maybe it will be earlier.

Little off topic but anyway...

He's been swinging a 32" since last summer. His swing is actually better with a heavier bat. I noticed his swing was getting a little out of whack cause it was so fast/hard...when he used his wood bat it was much smoother, more control, his wood bat is a -1. So he started practicing with some teammates 33" sticks and his swing improved, hit the ball just as far and hard with no loss in swing speed. He is constantly facing pitching in the 85-90 range and he hasn't had an issue so we made the change and picked up a 33" 5150 last weekend.