Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gimmick or might help?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by hcbaseball View Post
    Instructor has him working on one hand drills a lot and wants him to strenghten his right arm.Part of his issue i think is he is cross dominant and right hand much weaker. Side work is mostly off tee but team in midst of winter workouts and we do tee , front toss and little live so past the point of "fixing " without the other variables.
    My biggest task right now is keeping him in right frame of mind. His "flaws" ideally should have been addressed at an early age and it is not going to be an easy fix . He needs to keep working on it and not get frustrated. So far so good.

Stance is fine- one of has actual coaches has him experimenting with not standing as wide and taking a bigger stride forward.
    He at times picks up his front foot, has a leg kick or turns his front foot. He needs to figure out what he is most comfortable with. He seems to on his own change things every year or so- but ultimately he needs to fix the flaw with his hands of the other things won't really matter.

can be very frustrating for a coach and parent also - but gotta keep positive

was a youth coach years ago - when oldest kid played youth ball

one season had a group of very critical and vocal parents ; told them to keep a pic of their kid as a baby - and refer to it before lighting into the kid

no greater occupation than being a kid ; as a parent the goal should be to enhance this period

make baseball a memorable experience

Where he's at before he launches his swing is of little importance. If he's using this as a timing mechanism, I would leave it alone. My son's swing has changed so much over the years. For the last six months or so, he seems to have settled on a load and fire that works for him. I think he needs to lose some of the high leg kick, but he's smoking the ball better than ever so I'm not going to push the issue. If your son is not getting into a load position where the knob if pointing at the catcher's mitt at launch, I would have him work on the tip and rip load. He can drill at night in the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by 2022dad View Post
    Where he's at before he launches his swing is of little importance. If he's using this as a timing mechanism, I would leave it alone. My son's swing has changed so much over the years. For the last six months or so, he seems to have settled on a load and fire that works for him. I think he needs to lose some of the high leg kick, but he's smoking the ball better than ever so I'm not going to push the issue. If your son is not getting into a load position where the knob if pointing at the catcher's mitt at launch, I would have him work on the tip and rip load. He can drill at night in the living room.
    Never heard of the tip and rip before but checked it out and my son has been trying it in the living room.(will try this week at practice)
    So far looks like it will help. It has always been a challenge getting his hands in the right launch angle because he was always worried and thinking where that spot was. But by concentrating on getting the barrel towards the pitcher instead of worrying about his hand position it seems easier for him

Quote Originally Posted by 2022dad View Post

right or wrong - the position of the hands/bat at launch does appear to have some significance for my kid

the relative depth and height of his load (before launch) appears to impact how and where his hits go

if the depth of the load is not deep enough - or the height of the load (hands) is too great - he will tend to hit more ground balls ; with decreased depth or hands too high he is less likely to get the swing/barrel in the proper position / swing plane to drive the ball

OK, I was a little careless with the verbiage. As long as the hitter gets to load position at the proper time, how they get there doesn't matter. I agree that hitters have varying patterns that work for them. My son went through a stage of dropping his elbow too early. We drilled, I yelled, the instructor tried, and finally it boiled down to having him start his pre-load with his hands higher.

Agree with prior 2 responses- hitters have different styles/timing mechanisms stances etc. Just a matter of getting to ideal load position and then getting barrel through the zone in right spot.