Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axe Bat Review - what do you think?

Default Axe Bat Review - what do you think?

We reviewed it a while back, what do you think?

Not one of the big names, how many have tried it?

http://www.baseballbats.net/bat-revi...te-bat-review/

A kid on my son's TB had one...nothing special. That kid used it a couple of games and I haven't seen it since.

Quote Originally Posted by bats22 View Post
    We reviewed it a while back, what do you think?

Not one of the big names, how many have tried it?

http://www.baseballbats.net/bat-revi...te-bat-review/
    I sent you a PM with some info on them. I have had several.

-5 Elite has gotten some very nice reviews in BP.. tournament season about 4 weeks out, and will be interesting to see how it performs on gameday.

I just added several to the for sale/trade section

http://www.baseballbats.net/forums/s...r-sale-50-each

AXEIMG_1632.JPG

double post

I have a question about these bats. I understand the principle behind the design but doesn't it force you to hold the bat in the same position all the time? Therefore you cannot rotate a composite bat to break it in all the way around and you are always making contact with the ball on the same exact side of the bat on every hit. It seems to me this would reduce the life of the bat by 75% or more. I haven't seen or held one so maybe I'm missing something but just looking at pictures, this is the first thing that came to my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolbeans View Post
    I have a question about these bats. I understand the principle behind the design but doesn't it force you to hold the bat in the same position all the time? Therefore you cannot rotate a composite bat to break it in all the way around and you are always making contact with the ball on the same exact side of the bat on every hit. It seems to me this would reduce the life of the bat by 75% or more. I haven't seen or held one so maybe I'm missing something but just looking at pictures, this is the first thing that came to my mind.
    Per AXE, the bat is designed with this in mind, and is something that I think they tout as a benefit, in that they know where the contact will happen so they can design for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJP302 View Post
    Per AXE, the bat is designed with this in mind, and is something that I think they tout as a benefit, in that they know where the contact will happen so they can design for it.
    that's correct. they say it's an advantage because there is a dedicated hitting side which then can engineer a little differently. I haven't cut one open yet to see how it's different but I would guess that if you are engineering 1/2 to 3/4 of a cylinder vs. the whole whole circumference, that might allow you to do some things with mass and weight that you otherwise could not. I've not experienced them being superior in pop or results as opposed to other bats. However, I can say with 100% certainty that they cut down on fatigue and flatten out the swing. Real (wood chopping) axes are designed this way without the bias toward a traditional design.

I don't buy it being an advantage to engineer the hitting side. To me, they just make that side a little thicker so it is more durable but that would mean it would take longer to break in and reduce the trampoline effect. They can't engineer it to be better than other bats because they have to meet the same standard but they do have to have some response to the obvious question about always hitting the ball with the same side of the bat. I think they should take a que from the torque and make the bottom 4-5 inches of the handle spin and lock in 8-10 different positions. That way, you just spin it one notch before each at bat, lock it in place, and they can make a normal barrell on all sides.