Thread: BBCOR Recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default BBCOR Recommendations

My son is 13 and I would describe him as "medium build", probably around 5'4" 125lb....ish. He is playing 13u right now and I am just looking ahead to 14u and high school ball, so BBCOR is whats ahead.

I bought him a -5 VELO and a -5 Combat G3 for this year. He really likes the Combat, but doesn't swing the Velo. I think he does not like the fat handle/grip on the Velo, but he has only swung it at maybe 2 practices.

I want to progress his transition to swinging BBCOR and get him something that has some pop at BBCOR. I have seen a bunch of kids swinging BBCOR that seem dead. Are ALL BBCOR bats dead like that?

Any suggestions for a balanced swinging BBCOR that has pop?

we have a few 31/28 BBCOR bats ; they all hit fairly well

at the top of the list - S1, XL1, and Voodoo

kid will be trying a Mako before end of month ; Mako is a popular 31/28 bat in our area ; kids hit very well with it

grab a BBCOR S1 for your kid to try ; you might be surprised at how well he swings and hits with it

my kid likes the feel of the 31/28 B4 Portent Combat and might prefer the feel over the feel of the S1 - but the Combat does not have the same pop as the S1

however, the S1 is well used ; the Combat is in almost new condition

Marucci CAT6 is another balanced one to consider, especially for the price.

Ok, so the S1 outperforms the Combat? Is that the same for the G3?

How is the Rawlings Trio, RIp-It Air, or the New Combat Maxum? Just curious more than anything. I am all about saving a buck, so last years models are great in my book too!
    Last edited by djtech2k; 06-08-2015 at 08:20 PM.

BBCOR is completely different than youth and senior league bats.

From what I have seen and read the performance spread between bats is minimal. Preference is a bigger factor than performance when it comes to BBCOR. What feels good.

With that said my older 13U is swinging an 31" XL1 -5 when aloud and a 31" XL1 -3 BBCOR during practice and when required.

Per the eye test and conversation his swing speed is pretty consistent between the two. The XL1 BBCOR is much more balanced than the XL1 senior league. The senior league has an EASY 30ft advantage on well hit balls.

30ft is the difference of a routine fly ball compared to over the head of the OF and actually two HR's on the big field during games.

He has one hopped the big fence with BBCOR during BP but for now BBCOR fly balls are outs.

I have been pleasantly surprised and satisfied at how well my kid swings and hits with BBCOR bat ; he transitioned quickly

I believe many if not most on this board will experience the same

my kid does not have size ; he might be 5-6 / 5-7 and 115lbs or so

and we were not planning to use -3 BBCOR this season ; were not informed we would play 60/90 BBCOR in one league until just before the start of the season

edit: kid measured @ 5-8 1/2 at Aug physical
    Last edited by tom2p; 08-26-2015 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djtech2k View Post
    Ok, so the S1 outperforms the Combat? Is that the same for the G3?

How is the Rawlings Trio, RIp-It Air, or the New Combat Maxum? Just curious more than anything. I am all about saving a buck, so last years models are great in my book too!

they are close - but our 31/28 S1 appears to have better pop than our 31/28 B4 Portent

as I stated the S1 is well used ; the B4 Portent is in almost new condition

the B4 Portent does appear to be improving as it has seen more reps

I'm going to say something that some people may not want to hear (especially on a bat forum)... BBCOR bats are going to be similar to wood bats, in that the results that you get out of them will be highly dependent on the quality and speed of the swing more so than finding the 'magic hot bat'.
    To some extent the same thing can be said with all bats (LL and SL/BB included), but with no drop weight options and the strict performance standards of BBCOR, it's generally the time when boys (and their dads) have to come to the realization that the pendulum has swung from finding the magic bat to getting swing mechanics dialed in.

Quote Originally Posted by hands in View Post
    I'm going to say something that some people may not want to hear (especially on a bat forum)... BBCOR bats are going to be similar to wood bats, in that the results that you get out of them will be highly dependent on the quality and speed of the swing more so than finding the 'magic hot bat'.
    To some extent the same thing can be said with all bats (LL and SL/BB included), but with no drop weight options and the strict performance standards of BBCOR, it's generally the time when boys (and their dads) have to come to the realization that the pendulum has swung from finding the magic bat to getting swing mechanics dialed in.
    I think most understand this, that with these bats it's more about feel and what kind of balance the player does well with. That said, there will always be some bats that stand out, more popular, for whatever reason, which may be aesthetic or something else.

We have a couple BBCOR now, and I plan to test some exit speeds with my son, just to see and compare that number with how and what he feels. I am not going to tell him the number, just ask him to hit and let me know how things feel. I think I'll compare that to the -5 bats he as to see. I know it's unscientific, but interesting nonetheless.