Thread: What is a decent radar gun under $100?

Default What is a decent radar gun under $100?

I am looking to use a radar gun to check bat speed and pitch speed for my son. It's more of a "fun" tool, just to give me an idea of his progress.

It started out when I was trying to explain why we throw balls to the bases instead of running with them. Since they were 6 year olds, I was trying to bring in their newly found 1st grade math skills. I said, "You throw a ball 20 mph, and you run at 3 mph. Which number is bigger?" Then a parent asked, "How fast do they really throw?" So here I am with this post for a decent radar gun recommendation.

Thank you for your time and input.

For radar guns price is relevant to accuracy. The more you spend the better the accuracy. We picked up a Bushnell gun used for $75, new they are $120ish. It is not the best, maybe accurate plus/minus 2mph.

We use for pitching, I catch my son at home often and I swear a ball will be faster than previous but it can show lower or same. I think where the ball is captured in flight, toward mound vs. catcher can be misleading when radaring.

Download an app for your iPhone called Velocity Free by Athla. it turns your phone into a radar gun. It is as accurate as a $1200 top radar, Stalker Pro. Have your son get on a mound or flat ground, place your phone on the ground 20' forwards of him and 20' off to the left or right of the line between the 2 of you. Have the front of your phone facing parallel to the throwing line and let er rip. It will call out the speed of his pitch and the return throw or hit if a batter is hitting. I use mine during practice to test my all star pitchers velocity. I put a gear bag on the ground by my phone to protect it from any hits by the batter. You can link your phone to up to 10 (i think its 10 or less) other bluetooth phones or iPads so you can see the read outs. Its not as convenient as a hand held radar gun but for FREE, you can't beat it. This also allows you to not have to sit behind a catcher or target to get readings like a radar gun. It allows me to stand with the batter or pitcher and instruct instead of be behind the plate pointing a radar gun!!

http://www.athla.com

Here is there website with videos!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Download an app for your iPhone called Velocity Free by Athla. it turns your phone into a radar gun. It is as accurate as a $1200 top radar, Stalker Pro. Have your son get on a mound or flat ground, place your phone on the ground 20' forwards of him and 20' off to the left or right of the line between the 2 of you. Have the front of your phone facing parallel to the throwing line and let er rip. It will call out the speed of his pitch and the return throw or hit if a batter is hitting. I use mine during practice to test my all star pitchers velocity. I put a gear bag on the ground by my phone to protect it from any hits by the batter. You can link your phone to up to 10 (i think its 10 or less) other bluetooth phones or iPads so you can see the read outs. Its not as convenient as a hand held radar gun but for FREE, you can't beat it. This also allows you to not have to sit behind a catcher or target to get readings like a radar gun. It allows me to stand with the batter or pitcher and instruct instead of be behind the plate pointing a radar gun!!

http://www.athla.com

Here is there website with videos!!
    Tried this and the thing really doesn't work. You joined this forum in Sept 2015 around the time you posted this response to promote a radar GUN, and your screen name is GUNNER. I'm guessing your affiliated with the App, NO?

Quote Originally Posted by Lampuki22 View Post
    Tried this and the thing really doesn't work. You joined this forum in Sept 2015 around the time you posted this response to promote a radar GUN, and your screen name is GUNNER. I'm guessing your affiliated with the App, NO?
    Haha,I tried it as well-does not work for me.